Frequently Asked Questions
How do I sign-up online?
How flexible is the scheduling of Makos Kids' Summer Surf Program?
What if my child or I miss a day of Surf Camp?
What if we are late to Surf Camp in the morning?
Are parents allowed to participate in Kids' Surf Camp with their children?
What do I (or my child) need to bring to camp?
Makos recommends using permanent marker to write your child’s name on all items from home. Parents should check that their kids have all belonging at the end of every day of surf camp. Makos is not responsible for items left at the beach or on transportation vehicles.
Does Makos provide all equipment?
What is the earlies I can drop my kids off at Surf Camp and what is the latest I can pick them up?
What is the Makos instructor to camper ratio?
Do I have to fill out a release form for each of my children?
Are there sharks at Zuma Beach?
Do I have to go surfing for the entire time I spend at Surf Camp?
How do I become a better surfer?
- Have a positive attitude and learn to surf because it is fun.
- Know your limits and do not exceed them.
- Learn about rip currents and other ocean hazards. Click to learn more about ocean safety.
- Use the correct equipment.
- Feel comfortable with you instructor.
- Get instruction from a qualified surf coach.
- Ask questions about surfing.
- Ask your surf instructor or a lifeguard about ocean conditions before going into the water.
- Protect yourself from the sun – Use good sunscreen and wear a hat.
- Practice, practice, practice!!!!!!! It is only going to help.
- And please help keep the beach and water clean, do not litter!
How clean is the water at Zuma Beach?
Do the waves ever get too big or too small for surfing at Makos Surf Camp?
How safe is the Malibu Makos Surf Club and its events?
How many Makos lifeguards watch the water at any given time?
PLEASE CLICK OCEAN SAFETY IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS CONCERNING OCEAN SAFETY.